db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Julius Stroffek <Julius.Strof...@Sun.COM>
Subject Should be a statement with error allowed to do a rollback of the active transaction
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 12:23:19 GMT
Hi Saurabh,

> Correct, at this point the transaction is not committed, this only
> gets committed by the next select statement.
Not only select statement but any other statement... ;-)
> Well the writeLocalRollback_() method calls buildRDBRLLBCK() and sends
> RDBRLLBCK code-point. I am not sure that this approach can be used for
> all the cases.
> Or do we need to implement writeRollback() as a new method to handle
> this particular case (accumulatedReadException). Comments/Suggestions
> please.
Why we need to implement a writeRollback() method? The one similar to
the writeCommit() of the org.apache.derby.client.am.Connection class is
not sufficient?

The key question is whether the statement with error should (or could)
rollback the active transaction? What are your opinions?
Maybe it may do rollback of the transaction only if the auto commit is
on. However, if the auto commit is off the failed statement will be
executed even the exception will be thrown.

Cheers

Julo