db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject DERBY-2134 : ip clearance check list for contribution
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:59:43 GMT
Manjula opened DERBY-2134 to contribute some long running system tests
developed at IBM. I thought I'd go ahead and take care of two items on
the IP Clearance template here:

   http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

Under the "Verify distribution rights" section there are two items:

 - "Check that all active committers have a signed CLA on record."

DONE -- I verified that all derby committers have a signed individual
Contributor License Agreement.

 - "Remind active committers that they are responsible for ensuring that
a Corporate CLA is recorded if such is required to authorize their
contributions under their individual CLA."

DONE -- I'm reminding everyone with this post -- but Incubator
experience has shown that some additional information on that Corporate
CLA is helpful.

As I understand it the CCLA is more to protect employees who do Apache
development on their employer's time and resources. Some good
explanations from the Incubator list include (and feel free to jump in
with your own favorites that you may have spotted):

[1]
> A cCLA kicks in when 1) the -company- is granting code, on a continuing basis,
> and wants to make clear that all ongoing corporate-owned IP continues to be
> granted to the ASF for their granted code; and 2) when the -individual- decides
> they do not have the basis to sign the grant alone, as their work is for-hire
> or other law kicks in which grants their efforts to their employer.  For example
> in California the work you do on your own time, on your own equipment, is yours.
> But in other jurisdictions, unless part of your employment contract, what you do
> in the evenings is the IP of your employer.  It's up to the developer to know
> their employment contract and law with respect to the code that is their's to
> grant, and seek a cCLA when appropriate.

[2] [The CCLA is]
> there for employees to use to
>   ensure that they have clear ability to participate from the POV of
> their employer.

[3]
> The CCLA exists to *protect* that very same individual-contributor
> orientation of the ASF.  No matter how we protest, some people's contributions
> will always be work-product, and unless they negotiate their contracts to
> clearly provide for outside contributions to open source, the CCLA is our
> vehicle to facilitate the company's employees' contributions to the ASF.

With this notification done, I'll check that item off on the check list
for the DERBY-2134 contribution.

regards,

 -jean

[1]