db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Releasing latches when waiting for locks. When and why?
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:35:45 GMT
Mike Matrigali <mikem_app@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> One approach would be to continue to support the latching in the
> lockmanager, but to provide an alternate implementation using the
> same interfaces (or new interfaces if necessary).  Then make the
> default module implementation be the new improved one, but if a
> deadlock is suspected run under the existing lockmanager with
> all the exising nobs/reporting for deadlock and timeout.

That's an excellent idea! I think it's possible to do this without
creating a new module. We could for instance have a property which
told SinglePool.latchObject() whether or not it should go through the
lock table. I will investigate how this could be done and possibly
come up with a new patch for DERBY-2107.

--
Knut Anders