db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: translation checker...
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:17:48 GMT
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>
> >   - investigate detecting the non-US-ASCII characters
> >   - maybe changing to ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF8
>
> I don't understand why non-US-ASCII characters need to be detected.
> Since the defined format of properties file is ISO-8859-1 then
> non-US-ASCII characters are valid. Much clearer for everyone if we stick
> to the defined format rather than changing it.
>
> Dan.

I was basing this on Andrew's comment, you may have missed it...if
not, can you please clarify which part you don't understand?

"The javadoc for java.util.Properties says ISO8859-1 is used to encode
characters in properties files. The JLS, 2nd Edition says all
non-ASCII characters needing to be Unicode Escapes in section 3.3. I'm
going with the JLS, since native2ascii converts valid ISO8859-1
characters in the 128-255 range into Unicode Escapes. So, maybe
LocCompare should detect anything outside of the US-ASCII character
set and report that as a problem."

This suggests the characters may *not* be non-ASCII, and must be
unicode escaped, or did I misinterpret?

I easily do without the extra work of detecting non-ASCII
characters...But if that's a valuable thing, I will look into it. Or
it could be a follow up task for another time.

Myrna