db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:55:15 GMT
The new release policy is still undergoing significant churn on the
infrastructure alias.

The most recent relevant post indicates that it's ok to link our
*developer* web pages to nightly builds on the //www/
people.apache.org/builds/db/derby site.

<from ted husted>
What Joe said in another thread is annexed to this post. Joe
incorproated the Releases FAQ by reference, and the Releases FAQ
specifically says that Alpha and Betas are Releases too. What is not a
Release is an automatic nightly build, or some other test build
awaiting a vote.

Essentially:

Case 1: The PMC voted and has promoted a test build to a Release, and
we want to distribute the Alpha, Beta, or GA Release to the general
public:

* /www/www.apache.org/dist/$project

Case 2: We have a build or Alpha/Beta Release that we are not ready to
distribute outside the development group.

* /www/people.apache.org/builds/$project

For the second case to have any meaning, project web sites should
clearly distinguish between pages meant for the "general public" and
pages meant for the "development group".

Right now, many of us don't do that. Many of us have a single download
page that simply recites all the links for releases and builds,
without distinguishing how one is different from the other.

HTH, Ted.
</from ted husted>

Craig

Craig Russell