db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kasper Nielsen <n...@kav.dk>
Subject Re: Blog response to Oracle white paper
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:54:55 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Thanks, Mike, for your great comments on the white paper.  I took those
> comments and added my own in a blog response:
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/11/oracle_benchmar_1.html

Hi David,

Just a quick comment. I think you may want to omit or at least rephrase
the following sentence:
--
You may not need SQL today, but think about if you may need it later. I
have seen way too many projects that started with a simple key/value

Because Berkeley DB Java supports both secondary indexes, querying,
various degrees of transaction isolation, cursor support, row level
locking, etc. Its primarily the missing SQL support that sets it apart
from traditional databases.

Other then that, great post.
Cheers
   Kasper