db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cross posting white paper pointer - "Oracle Berkeley DB Java Edition vs Apache Derby: A Performance Comparison"
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 05:51:25 GMT
I read the paper and it seemed like an apples to oranges comparison. It
sounded like comparison of
some proprietary API  to JDBC ?

Also could not find details about how exactly the timings were measured
(JDBC PreparedStatement v/s some put(key,data) API  ?).

Anyways, here is another paper from them comparing Berkeley DB with
Relational database systems in general.
http://www.oracle.com/database/docs/Berkeley-DB-v-Relational.pdf

This one seemed more relevant since Berkeley DB is essential touted as a
library and not a full-fledged database system.

Also should you get a chance try reading the licensing terms ( I got a
bit lost reading their FAQ):
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/licensing.html

-Rajesh