db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blog response to Oracle white paper
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 02:57:22 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Thanks, Mike, for your great comments on the white paper.  I took those
> comments and added my own in a blog response:
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/11/oracle_benchmar_1.html

Another issue with the paper:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/pdf/je-derby-performance.pdf

 > Berkeley DB Java Edition
 > performance exceeds Derby performance in every test, by a factor of 3 to
 > 10, clearly demonstrating the superior performance of Berkeley DB Java
 > Edition"

This is just plain untrue. The first comparison Oracle show has
BerkeleyDB 7% faster, way short of a factor of three.

Of the *eight* comparisons of Derby to BerkeleyDB (excluding ones with
Hibernate), *six* seem to have have BerkeleyDB faster by a factor *less*
than 3. That's a long way from *every* test being between a factor of 3
to 10.

Dan.