db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Blog response to Oracle white paper
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:24:41 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> Thanks, Mike, for your great comments on the white paper.  I took those
> comments and added my own in a blog response:
>
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/davidvc/archive/2006/11/oracle_benchmar_1.html

Errmmm, David says in his blog:

"If your product is open source, you can use the BDB open source
license, which is a variant of a BSD license."

But the Oracle site says:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/htdocs/licensing.html

"The our open source license permits you to use Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB
Java Edition or Berkeley DB XML at no charge under the condition that if
you use the software in an application you redistribute, the complete
source code for your application must be available and freely
redistributable under reasonable conditions."

Isn't that more GPL like than BSD like, i.e. viral?

Dan.