db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: TDD and Derby project development
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:41:53 GMT
Marek Majchrzak wrote:
> Hi,
> So I understand TDD that you first write tests and then code to fulfill this
> tests. For not familiar with this method it could looks strange, but it
> gives sometimes good results :) - so I'm looking for such as projects,
> especially for opensource projects with well managed JIRA and SVN

Hi,

I was involved in a rather small project (5-10 developers, used Python)
using TDD, and I believe this approach is not used for Derby. Of course,
individual developers might have tests drive development for small
subareas of the code they are working on. The fact that we do not have
parallel source trees for production code and the test code also
complicate things, as you have to stick to the public interfaces.

I can't exactly say why, but it seemed a lot easier, and more natural,
to use TDD for the small project I participated in earlier, than in
Derby. My gut feeling is that generating the input and state needed for
unit tests of subareas of the Derby code would require a lot of work
(need a supporting infrastructure). Another factor is the programming
language, as you are able to take a lot of shortcuts in Python compared
to Java.

Further, I also learned that the tests need to be of a pretty good
quality, and that sitting together with another developer often made
both the tests and the code a lot better. Needless to say, this is not
always possible or considered good use of time.

regards,
--
Kristian