db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Releasing latches when waiting for locks. When and why?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:13:13 GMT

Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:

> Thanks Bryan, that could be the case. I have done some more
> investigation and it seems like the method is only called when a
> B-tree container is opened with a lock policy. It also seems like the
> B-tree containers always are opened with a null/NoLocking lock policy
> (regardless of isolation level) and therefore the method is never
> called.
Derby uses data only locking, so it doesn't get locks on rows in the
btree.  Instead it gets locks on the rows that the rows in the btree
point at.

> However, I made an interesting discovery in
> B2IRowLocking3.lockRowOnPage(). It uses the following procedure for
> locking a row while holding a latch:
>
>   1) Try to lock the row with timeout == NOWAIT.
>   2) If the lock couldn't be obtained without waiting, manually
>      release the latch and try to lock the row with a normal timeout.
>
> I don't see why this couldn't be done similarly in the few cases that
> maybe some time in the future will need that functionality. Perhaps we
> could change those calls and reduce some of the complexity of the lock
> manager? I generally prefer to optimize for the most common and/or
> least complex cases, and let the more complex cases pay the cost of
> extra complexity themselves. If the more complex cases are only for
> possible future use, I think that point is even more valid.
>
> Also, I'm not sure that using the lock manager for latching is optimal
> in the first place. The description of Derby's B-tree implementation
> [1], says that the implementation is similar to ARIES/IM [2].
> According to the ARIES/IM report,
>
>   "Acquiring a latch is cheaper than acquiring a lock (in the
>   no-conflict case, 10s of instructions versus 100s of instructions),
>   because the latch control information is always in virtual memory in
>   a fixed place, and direct addressability to the latch information is
>   possible given the latch name. Since each transaction holds at most
>   2 or 3 latches simultaneously (...), the latch request blocks can be
>   permanently allocated to each transaction and initialized with
>   transaction ID, etc. right at the start of that transaction. On the
>   other hand, storage for individual locks may have to be acquired,
>   formatted, and released dynamically, and more instructions need to
>   be executed to acquire and release locks."

The decision to uses the lockmanager in derby was definitely not a
performance decision.  It was a decsion to reuse existing code, and
leave the optimization to later.  Along the way quite a few
optimizations were added to improve the latch path through the
lockmanger.  I have to also say that from the supportability/ease of
development it has been
nice to have latches and locks in the same space so that latch/lock
deadlocks/waits (which are usually bugs) are automatically caught and
diagnosed using existing lock manager tools/error reporting.  Another
factor was that we wanted to continue to have 100% pure java
implementation so we didn't have the access to the standard test/set
instructions other implementation might have.  But I am sure one
could get pretty close.

Having said that it would be interesting if someone had time to
implement a higher performance latch implementation and plug it in
and see how much it helps.  It would decrease the total time spent
in lock manager.