db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JUnit and Derby 10.2; plans for merging?
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:42:48 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Kristian,
>
> I agree that we should stabilize the 10.2 tests soon since we're
> planning a 10.2.2 release in early December. If we don't merge the JUnit
> infrastructure into 10.2, then porting a bug fix to the 10.2 branch may
> involve re-writing the test case which verifies the fix.

Rick,

I see your point, but had the impression this was not going to be done.
Maybe I have missed a lot of commits, but I thought most of the JUnit
work on trunk has not been merged to 10.2. Am I wrong?

If we are to get derbyTesting in 10.2 up to the same state as trunk, I
think we need to merge in a lot of patches. Some answers to these
questions could help:
  1) Is the JUnit test system considered stable in trunk?
  2) How much work is it to merge all test-related patches to 10.2?
     Can we do a kind of mega-merge, or must we merge each patch
individually?

I found these Jiras through svn log, and the following are committed in
trunk but not in 10.2 for the junit package:
DERBY-883
DERBY-1700
DERBY-1758
DERBY-1762
DERBY-1790
DERBY-1791
DERBY-1826
DERBY-1952
DERBY-1966
DERBY-1970
DERBY-1971
DERBY-1974
DERBY-1975
DERBY-1976
DERBY-1989
DERBY-2003
DERBY-2006
DERBY-2007
DERBY-2021
DERBY-2033
DERBY-2043
DERBY-2047
DERBY-2048
DERBY-2052
DERBY-2055
DERBY-2063

There are also patches in 10.2 that are not in trunk, don't know how
well these go along with the ones above. If the tests were changed
accordingly as changes to the JUnit infrastructure were made, I guess
the list above is what has to be merged.
If the patches mix changes to Derby code (under engine etc), the test
infrastructure and the tests themselves, we might have to do some more
manual patch-fiddling if the changes to Derby is not intended for the
10.2 branch.

regards,
--
Kristian

> Regards,
> -Rick
>
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When running suites.All in the 10.2 branch, a lot of tests fails and
>> eventually the run is aborted if no derby.system.home is specified:
>> Tests run: 95,  Failures: 0,  Errors: 137
>>
>> This annoys me, and the patch to fix the problem(s) is simple (I
>> attached a suggested patch). The work-around is also simple, but if no
>> objections are raised, I'd like to get the patch committed.
>>
>> I assume there are no plans to merge all the work done on JUnit
>> infrastructure and the tests themselves to 10.2. The patch only
>> includes changes already made in trunk, but merging the original
>> patches touches a lot more files and might case trouble due to
>> functional/interface changes.
>> The suggested patch also fixes another trivial bug, where a missing
>> file separator causes a security exception (no matching entry in the
>> policy file).
>>
>> I still see some errors when suites.All is run to completion, and I'd
>> also like to clean these up:
>> Tests run: 1756,  Failures: 3,  Errors: 1
>>
>> (testGrantRevokeWithoutSQLAuthProperty
>>  testCurrentTime
>>  testInertTime
>>  grantRevokeAfterSettingSQLAuthProperty)
>>
>> If these tests cannot be easily fixed, I suggest we disable them for
>> 10.2.

[ snip - patch ]