db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Writing platform-specific line-endings to disk...
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:36:01 GMT
Army wrote:

> My question, then, is this: Is it considered a "bug" in Derby if
> insertion of the same XML value by the user can lead to different data
> (namely, line ending characters) being written to disk for different
> platforms?

> Comments/feedback are appreciated, if anyone has any.

Aren't there two separate (but related) issues here?

  1) What Derby stores on disk (the extra number of characters stored)
  2) How Derby serialized XML values back to an application (the test
counting issue).

On input, not sure what the solution is, does it affect in any way
taking a database created on windows and moving it to a unix platform?
Will the same logical value be retrieved?

Seems on output (XMLSERIALIZE) generating the correct line endings for
the platform makes sense and the test should be smarter than counting
raw characters.

Dan.