db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't the embedded mode of a Derby database boot from a dual JVMs
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:08:36 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Suraj Batuwana wrote:
>
>> Also in client side i am getting the folloing error
>>
>> Error when executing query:com.ibm.websphere.ce.cm.StaleConnectionException:
>> Meta-data for Container
>> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer@1eafc73d could not be
>> accessed
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Error when executing
>> query:com.ibm.websphere.ce.cm.StaleConnectionException: Meta-data for
>> Container org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer@1eafc73d could
>> not be accessed
>>

> I'm going out on a limb here because I know nothing about websphere, but
> I wonder if that "container ... could not be accessed" error has
> anything to do with file permissions on the data files that make up the
> derby database?
>
> Can you access that database using ij? If you're unfamiliar with ij, a
> quick intro is at
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ij_intro.html  and example
> using the client jdbc driver in ij is at
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/ns_intro.html#ij_ns_client .
>
>  -jean

Based on this method near the top of the  stack trace
(java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged1) it does look like this is
a security problem.  I believe that RAFContainer@32d20639  refers to
data file that Derby is attempting to open.  Here are some ideas (some
more far fetched than others):
- Derby-1761: recent releases of IBM JVM v1.4.2 had a bug that produced
access failures because property permissions were not being passed to
methods being called.
- Make sure this is local disk, not a share or network mount of some
sort: E:\Cloud_Branch\TestDB\seg0\
- Make sure no other thread/process (e.g. copy/backup, compression,
etc.) has the file locked.
- Check the file size - I have seen XSDG3 errors when trying to open a
corrupted database containing zero length DAT files.
    -HTH
XSDG3: Meta-data for Container
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer@32d20639 could not be
accessed at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
Source) at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer.run(Unknown
Source) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged1(Native Method)
at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java(Compiled
Code)) at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.RAFContainer.openContainer