db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: openConnection dissapeared from BaseJDBCTestCase.java
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:04:08 GMT
Julius.Stroffek wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I prepared a patch for DERBY-1434 with a test. I wanted to submit it
> today, however when updated a trunk to the most recent version, the method
>
> openConnection(String databaseName)
>
> disaperead from the BaseJDBCTestCase.java.
>
> I need to create two connections to different databases in a test so the
> openDefaultConnection() method is notsufficient. I think that probably
> no tests used this method. How should I create these connections today?
> Should I create the missing openConnection method?

I just added a utility method

JDBCDataSource.getDataSource(String dbName)

to obtain a connection to a different database, eg.

ds = JDBCDataSource.getDataSource("otherdb");
conn = ds.getConnection();

I'm using it for the database class loading test to obtain a connection
to a database contained in a jar file.

The current setup is focused on a single database, I did a while back
add a decorator to switch the default database & connection to a
different "single use" database
(TestConfiguration.singleUseDatabaseDecorator).

With a test that needs concurrent multiple open databases some thought
on the setup is needed to ensure the extra databases are created and/or
cleaned and shutdown at the end of the test. If multiple tests simply
created their own databases and left them lying around then it would
cause issues eventually.

Dan.