db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Manjula G Kutty <manjula.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution of System tests for Derby
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:36:42 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Manjula G Kutty wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As a continued effort towards improving Derby quality, I wish to
>> contribute some long running system tests for Derby.  Here is
>> a brief description of each:
>

> [snip - four test descriptions]
>
> Sounds good, look forward to have this additional testing ability.
>

>> I don't think these tests can be run as functional tests on a nightly
>> basis. Some of these could be  run for weeks and would be
>> useful to test release candidates.
>

> It might be useful to run some form as functional tests, this at least
> ensures the test is not broken by some change. That of course could be
> done subsequent to the contribution. Possibly it's useful to think of
> these as test toolkits and not just their potential use to a long
> running test. For example with the OE I imagine there is a functional
> test that could be written to ensure the schema scripts work, data can
> be loaded etc.
>

>> I suggest  org.apache.derbyTesting.system.tests.<name of the test>
>> as a  location for these tests.
>

> I put the OE test, which is similar in concept to what you describe,
> directly under org.apache.derbyTesting.system. I don't think there's
> any benefit to that extra 'tests'. So I would propose:
>
> org.apache.derbyTesting.system.<name of the test>
>
> to match oe.
>
>> I would also suggest a new ant target to build these classes. So that
>> the simple ant command do not have to
>> compile these test classes everytime. If any one wants them, they
>> could run it  as ant <target name>.
>

> Probably should be included in the all target, probably depends on how
> much extra time is involved.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan.

Thanks Dan for your valuable suggestions.

 Thanks Dan for your valuable suggestions.

 I will open individual jira  entries  for each test to contribute them
one by one. I agree the package name can be
org.apache.derbyTesting.system.<testname>, similar
to the order entry tests.

The time taken to compile them is very minimal hence we can include
these tests in the  ant all target.  A readme file that tells how
to run and check the results will be included in each of the tests. Also
note that  these tests can be run for few hours since
there is no explicit exit conditions, so anyone can choose to run them
for the desired duration by using some sort of utility wrappers
around them

Thanks
Manjula