db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: (DERBY-378) implementing import/export of large objects...
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:50:17 GMT

Suresh Thalamati wrote:

> Hi Mike ,
>
> After thinking bit more about the cases you mentioned, better solution
> might be to do write the binary data in HEX format when exporting the
> data to only one file, instead of modifying the binary data with double
> delimiters. This way main export file will be text file
> as it is now.
>
> Only restriction with this approach is users can not use the hex number
> (A-F , a-f, 0-9) as the delimiter; I think this restriction is
> reasonable one.
>
> If users required raw format , they can export binary data types to a
> separate file using the new procedures.
I think the separate file approach is fine and resolves the most
important blob import/export need.  It seems simpler, and likely to
be faster.

Doing hex for inline seems a reasonable alternative to messing with
escaped delimiters in raw data.  I think the rest of the inline data
is always in some sort of "character" format.

If you only do one implementation I would think the separate file
approach is better.