db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Comments on JMX patch (DERBY-1387)
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:04:55 GMT
I'm finally getting back to the JMX work and trying to provide some
useful feedback.  Sanket, are you still around and available to work on
this?

Here are the comments I have after my initial attempts to build and run
the JMX service in Derby

- You had mentioned you were going to remove the dependencies on the
commons-modeler framework.  That seems good if it's not too much work,
but it can wait for another revision, maybe we should get this working
and checked in first...

- We need unit tests for this.  But again that can be a separate patch
after we get this initial one checked in.

- In your patch, each of the new files repeats the contents twice and it
won't build until you manually clean up the files

- As Andreas mentioned, we need to be able to build Derby with JDK 1.4
even with the JMX stuff in there.  You need to fix build.xml to
conditionally

- Please modify BUILDING.txt to indicate that you need the JMX extension
jar to build Derby.  See the existing paragraphs for other dependencies
for examples on how to do this

- After doing ant buildjars, when I tried the following command in
jars/sane:

java -Dderby.jmx=true -jar derbyrun.jar server start

I got the following exception.  I think it's because the JMX stuff is
not being correctly added to the jar files.  How have you tested your
JMX functionality?

ERROR XBM02: Startup failed due to missing functionality for
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.mbeans.ManagementService. Please ensure
your classpath includes the correct Derby software.
         at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(StandardException.java:305)
         at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.missingImplementation(Monitor.java:656)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.bootModule(TopService.java:283)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.startModule(BaseMonitor.java:587)
         at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.startSystemModule(Monitor.java:366)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.runWithState(BaseMonitor.java:408)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.FileMonitor.<init>(FileMonitor.java:68)

That's all I have for this go-round, if we can get it to run then I'll
do some more testing...

David