db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contribution of System tests for Derby
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:30:44 GMT
Manjula G Kutty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a continued effort towards improving Derby quality, I wish to
> contribute some long running system tests for Derby.  Here is
> a brief description of each:

[snip - four test descriptions]

Sounds good, look forward to have this additional testing ability.

> I don't think these tests can be run as functional tests on a nightly
> basis. Some of these could be  run for weeks and would be
> useful to test release candidates.

It might be useful to run some form as functional tests, this at least
ensures the test is not broken by some change. That of course could be
done subsequent to the contribution. Possibly it's useful to think of
these as test toolkits and not just their potential use to a long
running test. For example with the OE I imagine there is a functional
test that could be written to ensure the schema scripts work, data can
be loaded etc.

> I suggest
> org.apache.derbyTesting.system.tests.<name of the test>  as a  location
> for these tests.

I put the OE test, which is similar in concept to what you describe,
directly under org.apache.derbyTesting.system. I don't think there's any
benefit to that extra 'tests'. So I would propose:

org.apache.derbyTesting.system.<name of the test>

to match oe.

> I would also suggest a new ant target to build these classes. So that
> the simple ant command do not have to
> compile these test classes everytime. If any one wants them, they could
> run it  as ant <target name>.

Probably should be included in the all target, probably depends on how
much extra time is involved.

Thanks,
Dan.