db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <Camilla.Ha...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Docs: Explain the types of DITA topics used in Derby documentation
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:27:12 GMT
Laura, thanks so much for doing this. It is a really helpful page and I
hope will encourage more doc contributors. I appreciate your jumping
through all those hoops to get the software (Forrest?) running so you
could work on the pages. Reminds me of the pain I went through getting
svn installed on my Solaris system so I could edit DITA! (I got lots of
help from David Van Couvering on that.)

I was thinking that you might want to use the conceptual distinction
between structural and body tags and make two separate Tagging Examples
tables. It might make them more manageable for users navigating them, as
they get added to. The table currently doesn't have much in the way of
body tags (just codeph and xref), so I expect you are planning to add
some of the other common ones like varname, cite, userinput,
systemoutput, term). We probably also want to have a policy statement
encouraging people to use semantic tags like those and to avoid tags
that only specify format (like b, i, tt, u).

Are the templates actually checked in? I just did an svn update on the
trunk (for docs) but no templates directory showed up.

The table entry on index entries says, "When there is an Information
Center, the index terms are added as metadata to help in searching for
content in the Information Center." I am not sure what an Information
Center is. Is it possibly something specific to IBM? (Like
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cscv/v10r1/index.jsp.)

There is a minor typo ("lable") in the Note entry.

Thanks again for your great work!

Kim