db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: (DERBY-378) implementing import/export of large objects...
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:56:44 GMT

Suresh Thalamati wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Suresh Thalamati wrote:
>>
>>> BLOB:

>>>   1) Allow import/export of blob data only when they it is  stored in
>>> an external file.
>>>
>>>   2) Write the blob data to the export file along with other data
>>> types during export, assuming the blob data does not contain any
>>> delimiters and throw an error if on import if it finds delimiters
>>> inside the data, by interpreting it using the same code-set as the
>>> other character data.
>>

>> I say option 1) and I assume it's for all binary data, not just BLOB,
>> e.g. VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA etc. Seems like with binary data the chance
>> of having a problematic character in the text file is close to 100%.
>>

>> Dan.
>>

> Thanks for reading the proposal, Dan.  I agree with you , chance of
> finding  delimiter character inside a binary data is very high. I will
> go with the option 1. Your assumption is correct , it applies to all the
> binary data.

I also agree, it seems like a reasonable first step to default binary
export/import to external files.

I am probably missing something here though.  I thought for char data
there is an algorithm that handles delimiter data within it.  Why does
that not work for binary data also?  Is it a codeset issue?