db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: translation checker...
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:22:41 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On 11/2/06, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> >   - investigate detecting the non-US-ASCII characters
>> >   - maybe changing to ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF8
>>
>> I don't understand why non-US-ASCII characters need to be detected.
>> Since the defined format of properties file is ISO-8859-1 then
>> non-US-ASCII characters are valid. Much clearer for everyone if we stick
>> to the defined format rather than changing it.
>>
>> Dan.
>
> I was basing this on Andrew's comment, you may have missed it...if
> not, can you please clarify which part you don't understand?
>
> "The javadoc for java.util.Properties says ISO8859-1 is used to encode
> characters in properties files. The JLS, 2nd Edition says all
> non-ASCII characters needing to be Unicode Escapes in section 3.3. I'm
> going with the JLS, since native2ascii converts valid ISO8859-1
> characters in the 128-255 range into Unicode Escapes. So, maybe
> LocCompare should detect anything outside of the US-ASCII character
> set and report that as a problem."
>
> This suggests the characters may *not* be non-ASCII, and must be
> unicode escaped, or did I misinterpret?

Hmmm, the documentation for native2ascii does not agree with the
statement about that characters in the range 128-255 range are converted
  into Unicode Escapes. It says non-Latin 1 characters are converted,
where Latin-1 is the common name for ISO8859-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

Andrew refers to the JLS section 3.3 but I'm not sure what relevance
that is. It's talking about processing Java source not properties files.
Then I can't see in section 3.3 any text that would indicate "all