db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New way of adding internationalized messages. This affects the Derby Reference Guide.
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 23:21:44 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Laura,
>>
>> Right now, the friendly names are exactly the ones which you created
>> when you overhauled rrefexcept71493.dita recently. Those argument names
>> have been copied to messages.xml. When adding a new message, one should
>> just look for examples in messages.xml. Here are some of the friendly
>> argument names in messages.xml which you added and which I faithfully
>> reproduced. I culled these names by searching that file for the first
>> several occurrences of the <arg> tag:
>>
>> authorizationID
>> constraintName
>> tableName
>> viewName
>> triggerName
>> columnName
>> indexName
>> valueName
>> objectName
>> databaseName
>>
>> Do you think that we should document these somewhere? For instance, is
>> there some style advice which you would like me to add to the
>> introductory comments in messages.xml?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> Hmmm, right now I am creating new content for the Documentation tab of
> the Derby Web pages.  I think it might be good to add new sub-page
> about messages.  I currently don't have access to the messages.xml
> file. Are there already some intro comments in that file?  If yes,
> then perhaps we can use that and point people to the Web page...
> ensuring the content is the same in both places.  If there isn't then
> we can add some info to the Web page and whenever this comes up on the
> list we can point people to that page.
>
> What do you think?

Hi Laura,

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you would like to create a
website page which gives people stylistic advice on how to write clear,
meaningful messages and how to name the arguments plugged into those
messages. Then messages.xml could have a prominent header comment
directing message writers to the website for style tips. I think that's
a great idea.

Right now, messages.xml does not have such a header comment.

Unfortunately, messages.xml lives in the code repository while the
documentation lives in the doc repository. It sound like you have only
checked out the doc repository--that would be why you can't find
messages.xml.

Regards,
-Rick