db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: New way of adding internationalized messages. This affects the Derby Reference Guide.
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:57:39 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>> My last checkin (469975, DERBY-1868) changed the way that we add
>> internationalized messages to the Derby engine. There is now a file of
>> xml descriptors (java/engine/org/apache/derby/loc/messages.xml). This is
>> where we should add new engine messages. As part of adding a new
>> message, you will want to give friendly names to the message
>> arguments--these friendly names will appear in the SQLState tables in
>> the Derby Reference Guide.
>>
>> Please do not edit java/engine/apache/derby/loc/messages.xml. This file
>> has been removed from code management and is now generated from
>> messages.xml during the Derby build.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> Rick - Can you give the Derby community a few examples of "friendly
> names" ?
Hi Laura,

Right now, the friendly names are exactly the ones which you created
when you overhauled rrefexcept71493.dita recently. Those argument names
have been copied to messages.xml. When adding a new message, one should
just look for examples in messages.xml. Here are some of the friendly
argument names in messages.xml which you added and which I faithfully
reproduced. I culled these names by searching that file for the first
several occurrences of the <arg> tag:

authorizationID
constraintName
tableName
viewName
triggerName
columnName
indexName
valueName
objectName
databaseName

Do you think that we should document these somewhere? For instance, is
there some style advice which you would like me to add to the
introductory comments in messages.xml?

Thanks,
-Rick