On 10/1/06, James Synge <james.synge@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
but I don't understand the generated code, especially given that it's expressed
as bytecode.  Can someone suggest a means of debugging the execution
phase (or getting a human readable form of the code)?
</snip>

One way is to dump the actual generated code into the file system.  You can do this
using Java property -Dderby.debug.true=DumpClassFile.  e.g.:

java -Dderby.debug.true=DumpClassFile org.apache.derby.tools.ij

When you issued the query of interest, you should be able to see the generated activation .class file.  With this, you can either read it using javap or use a Java decompiler.  I personally like to read bytecode.  =)

Yip