db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: syntax for generated-column-spec: bug in doc or code?
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:51:35 GMT
Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:

>>>     insert into greetings(ch) values ('bonjour');
>> ij> insert into greetings values ('bonjour');
>
> These two don't look identical. The second one is missing (ch).

Thanks Bryan! I think I was blind-sided by my expectation here.

I am puzzled by the documentation's mention of 0 as a legal increment
value:

> By default, the initial value of an identity column is 1, and the
> amount of the increment is 1. You can specify non-default values for
> both the initial value and the interval amount when you define the
> column with the key words STARTS WITH and INCREMENT BY. And if you
> specify a negative number for the increment value, Derby decrements
> the value with each insert. If this value is 0, or positive, Derby
> increments the value with each insert.

When I try it, 0 is flagged as illegal, as I would expect:

ij> create table f (i int generated by default as identity (start with 1, increment by
0), j int);

ERROR 42Z21: Invalid increment specified for identity for column 'I'. Increment cannot be
zero.

A bug, or am I missing something?

Dag