db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Yip Ng" <yipng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Functions in GROUP BY expressions? (related to DERBY-883)
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:35:53 GMT
For the Java function part, if the function characteristic is DETERMINISTIC,
then I think it should be reasonable to allow this in the group by clause.
I think this is mentioned in the DB2 manual but they refer to the term
VARIANT.

It appears that there is no way to explicitly specify the deterministic
characteristic of a function or procedure in their respective CREATE
statement currently in Derby.  And according to the SQL:2003 standard, if it
is not specified, it defaults to NOT DETERMINISTIC implicitly.  So for the
boki Java function, it fails expectedly.

Yip