db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Docs: Explain the types of DITA topics used in Derby documentation
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 22:16:41 GMT
On 10/30/06, Laura Stewart <scotsmatrix@gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to decide just how many DITA tags the Derby documentation
> should use.  There are dozens of tags that writers will be very
> familiar with, but do we really want to encumber an open source
> community with using all of those tags.
>
> I think that to encourage more people to write documentation in DITA
> that we need to highlight the most important tags for them to become
> familiar with.
>
> Please take a look at the updated Derby Documentation web pages, specifically
> http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/guidelines.html and the DITA Source pages.
> The Writing Guidelines page is new.  I would like to list the most
> essential tags people might want to know... the ones that we want to
> encourage people to use consistently when updating existing topics.
> The templates will show them the tags (mostly) that they need when
> creating new topics, so I don't want to necessarily repeat all of
> those tags.
>
> I'm thinking that we highlight the "top ten" most commonly used tags.
> What would be on your top ten list?
>
> --
> Laura Stewart

BTW - According to OASIS
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.0/langspec/pre.html

pre
The preformatted element (<pre>) preserves line breaks and spaces
entered manually by the author in the content of the element, and also
presents the content in a monospaced type font (depending on your
output formatting processor). Do not use <pre> when a more
semantically specific element is appropriate, such as <codeblock>.

--
Laura Stewart