db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Clarification needed bout filing JIRA issues - Fix vs Affects Versions
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:07:30 GMT
When you create a new JIRA issue, you must specify information about
the "Affects Versions" and "Fix Versions".  I looked at all of the
Derby information about filing new issues but am still confused about
what to specify for the "Affects Versions" and "Fix Versions" fields.

In the documentation provided on the Derby site (Community tab, BUGS section)
http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html
there is a link to a PDF document "ApacheDerby Issues in Jira".

In that document, it describes the "Affects Version/s is the version/s
that was being used when it was detected."    That is fairly clear.
If I am working on version 10.2.1.6, then I select that version in the
"Affects versions" field when I create the JIRA issue.

However there is nothing to indicate what to select (if anything) for
the "Fix Versions" field.  And I have see many different approaches.
When someone creates a new issue, should they:

1) Leave the Fix Versions field blank?  Then when the patch is ready
to be committed, then someone (the originator of the issue, or the
committer?) can specify which versions to apply the fix to.

2) Specify the version that the originator would like to see the issue
fixed in?  For example if it is an urgent issue, specify the next
minor release. For example if the current release is 10.2.1.6,specify
the next release is 10.2.2.  If the issue in not urgent, then specify
the next major release.  For example if the current release is
10.1.2.6, specify 10.3.

3) Specify all of the previous and future releases that the issue
should be fixed in?  Is there any point to specifying previous
releases?  Is there any point in specify more than one future release?
 Won't issues resolved in 10.2.2 be picked up in 10.3?

Please clarify what the appropriate action is.

--
Laura Stewart