db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal - Doc Process Improvements
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 20:27:49 GMT
Hi

I've been working on updates to the Derby docs for a few months, and
now that we are close to completing this release I think that this is
a good time to revisit the processes (and stumbling blocks) that the
Derby project has for updating and reviewing the Derby documentation.

Here is what I propose:

1) Ask for feedback from the derby-dev community about the information
on the Derby Documentation page that describes how to setup your
environment, update the files, and submit patches.
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html

I can tell you from my own experience on updating Derby doc files,
that I would like to see more explicit instructions on how to locate
and update the DITA files, guidelines for tagging the files, and
formatting conventions.  I also think that it would be good to have an
FAQ for documentation update questions.

RECOMMENDATION: Start a derby-dev thread about the instructions and
guidelines for updating the Derby documentation files.
I volunteer to start this thread and implement the recommendations
from the community.

2) Ask for feedback from the derby-dev community about the
documentation review process.
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwoDocReview

A wiki was used to capture documentation review comments. Was the wiki
a useful tool for the reviews? Were the instructions for contributing
to the documentation reviews clear? Are there other ways to review the
documentation that would be better?

RECOMMENDATION: Start a derby-dev thread about the documentation review process.
I'll volunteer to drive this discussion unless somebody else would
like to -- just let me know if you do :-)

--
Laura Stewart