db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Question - Second function
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:55:12 GMT
Hi -

>From the 10.2 Doc Review, I have this question about the SECOND function
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefsecondfunc.html

The text:
'If the argument is a time duration or timestamp duration: The result
is the seconds part of the value, which is an integer between -99 and
99. A nonzero result has the same sign as the argument."

1) I don't understand how you can get an integer between -99 and 99.
Could someone provide an example that we could include with the docs?

2) Also, I can't figure out how to give the SECOND function a non-zero
argument, since the argument must be a time, timestamp or character
string representaion of a time or timestamp.

3) Finally, the doc says 'The result of the function is a large
integer.'  Is this a specific data type?  Or should it just say
INTEGER, BIGINT, SMALLINT?

Thanks!

--
Laura Stewart