db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: building the release page
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 19:10:28 GMT

> "the HTML comments which constitute the form template into which the
> mirrors.cgi script splices in the mirror information will be removed by
> Forrest. It is necessary to add these comments back in to the release
> page before committing or letting the site go live on people.apache.org."
>
> I don't see these comments in the build output for the 10.1.3.1 release
> page, which is under subversion control. I'm confused about when these
> comments should be added back in. Would appreciate some advice.

Because the release pages can be updated for several different
reasons, like the site map updating, I have spliced them back in where
they live on minotaur at /www/db.apache.org/derby/releases. That way,
if someone else comes along and updates the release page for some
reason, they don't have to know about this particular little problem
and svn will merge the comments into the updated file on minotaur.

I know there was some discussion about this in the 10.1.2.1 timeframe
but I can't seem to find the mail in the archives right now.

So, what I've done has been: commit the file, do 'svn up' on minotaur,
then edit the file on mino to put the form comments back in. If you
like, you can see how this has been done for the other pages by
running 'svn diff' in /www/db.apache.org/derby/releases/ on mino.

You could just splice them back in and commit the file, but I figured
the little extra effort would prevent the release page from becoming
broken if someone else who wasn't aware of the issue updated the
release page for some reason not related to a release.

andrew