db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: translation checker...
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:46:36 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wrote a silly translation check program (LocCompare.java) that flags
> possible trouble between the current english locale files and possible
> new translations.
> You'd have to build the class, add it to the classpath, put the
> possible new translations files in two (one top, and a subdir for the
> drda ones) directories and run the class like so:
>
> - java  -Dderbysvntop=<top of trunk or source> -Dtranslations=<temp
> location topdir> LocCompare pt_BR > checkBR.out 2>&1
>
> I used the current Brazilian translations because they're the most up
> to date...I copied them to the temporary location.
> I'm attaching the output (with the actual location edited out manually).
>
> There's little actual failures I found, but still...
> Does this look like a useful tool to be added to derby?
> If so, where should it live?
>
> Thx,
> Myrna

I think this will be really useful going forward, as  locale files are
updated  by the Derby community. I will surely give this
a try. Also noticed you are using "UTF8" as encoding for reading the
locale  files - is the reason that all the respective locale files
(Chinese, Japanese etc.)  are unicode escaped ?

Another question:
- The outfile - is it possible to print the  English reference message
and the respective locale message in question - to make
   the errors more clearer. (something like a diff utility).

 - Why do we need the argument -Dtranslations=<temp location topdir>,
can't we use the locale files (patched/checked out ones) in the codeline.
   Can we avoid this, copying the files to a temp location for verifying
seems a bit cumbersome.

    Something like: java  -Dderbysvntop=<top of trunk or source>
LocCompare pt_BR > checkBR.out 2>&1

About the location,  I suppose  this utility needs to be run only when
the locales files are updated or to find messages that are not
translated (?).
In that case, I would think it can reside under the
trunk/java/derbyTesting/locale/utils (?) directory with the appropriate
package name.  We
would also need a Readme/HowTo that mentions what the utility does and
how to use it etc.

If anyone else have other suggsestions  please send a mail to the list.

-Rajesh