db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Running JUnit tests when derby.system.home does not exist
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:03:35 GMT
Hello,

I was running various JUnit tests/suites and the test
'jdbcapi.BlobClob4Blob' was failing with a security exception, but when
run as part of 'suites.All' it was not.

After some investigation, I discovered the following:
  1) derby.system.home was set to a non-existing directory.
     Set to `pwd`/system, see static initializer in TestConfiguration

  2) When I ran the All suite, no security manager was installed.
     I have not confirmed if this is true for all tests (it is probably
     not), but no security manager was installed at the time when the
     first setUp-method was run.  I created DERBY-2000 to track this, and
     also added a little more info.

Because of 2), creating derby.system.home worked when running the All
suite, but not when running the other test. What happens, is that the
directory is attempted created in 'impl.services.monitor.FileMonitor' if
it does not exists. When a SecurityException is raised, the
initialize-method returns false and the boot process is aborted. This
causes the line 'return getDriverModule().connect(...)' in
'jdbc.AutoloadedDriver' to throw a NPE (and this is what you get to see
when running the test).

I can think of two solutions to the directory creation problem:
   a) Add write permissions to derby.system.home for derby.jar.
      If this is done, the system would be able to create the directory,
      and possibly overwrite derby.system.home if it happens to point to
      a file (combination of user error and malicious/bad code in Derby),
      but not delete it;
      permission java.io.FilePermission "${derby.system.home}", "read,
write";

      With the permission above, no permissions need to be granted to the
      parent directory of derby.system.home.

   b) Document that derby.system.home must point to an existing
      directory when running JUnit tests.

I think a) seems most useful, especially in terms of user-friendliness.
On the other hand, you should know up front where the database store the
data, so option b) is not a disaster either.

Any opinions/questions?

--
Kristian