db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject JUnit disagnostice (Was Re: Some JUnit tests now split out from old harness and do not run as part of derbyall)
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:46 GMT
Vemund Ostgaard wrote:

> When running the top-level suite now, the only output I got was a lot of 
> dots, the time it took to run the suite and the number of OK tests run.
> 
> Have anyone considered a framework or interface for logging events and 
> information in the junit tests? I think it will be very difficult in the 
> future to analyse test failures only based on the text from an assertion 
> failure or exception. Especially when we start porting multhreaded 
> stress tests and other more complicated parts of the old suite.

I totally agree with you.  I had an experience when porting 
LobLengthTest to junit that illustrate this.  When I had the test to 
jdbcapi/_Suite, OOM errors occurred and the test hanged when I ran it 
with the DerbyNetClient.  There was no practical way to find out which 
test was hanging.  I could have counted dots and tried to determine 
which test case that represented, but that would have been both error 
prone and very time consuming. (The problem went away when Fernanda 
checked in the clean-up to the SUR-test.)

> 
> It would also give a warm fussy feeling to be able to see that the tests 
> actually did something (in addition to all the dots written by the 
> TestRunner).

I agree on this too.  The way it is today, if I by mistake disable some 
test, this is very difficult to detect.

--
Øystein

Mime
View raw message