db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Locale, collation orderimg etc
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:47:09 GMT
If it were me I would start with looking at the national character
source in derby and the java interfaces they use.

I think a reasonable first step would be to look at implementing
native sort order on a database wide basis for all existing character
types.  I believe rick took a look at enabling the national character
type but in the end did not think that it was the right way to go.
I think it makes sense to base the sorting on existing java technology
rather than build anything special in derby.

The easiest would be to requre the native sort order to be defined
at database creation time.  I believe the most straight forward
implementation would build on disk indexes also in native sort order
so making the decision at runtime would require alternate code paths,
while making the decision at db create time I believe would limit
the the path to compare routines in the datatypes.

I think it is important if at all possible to not slow down existing
db's that don't need this special sorting.