db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Some JUnit tests now split out from old harness and do not run as part of derbyall
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:15:32 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> I would encourage those that regularly run nightly or other testing to
> add this JUnit test into their framework. I'm sure there will be some
> issues getting it running on all the platforms but they should be easy
> to work through.

I'm extending the nightly testing with this top-level junit suite,
executed with junit.textui.TestRunner, from tonight. If it turns out to
run ok on all platforms we will start reporting from this suite as well
in the mails from Henri.

> There is more work to be done for some of the tests in All so that
> they also run in the client server by themselves, and I'm working on
> it for the tests in tests.jdbcapi.
>
> I'm also planning on laying out some form of a plan or work items that
> would move us completely over to JUnit.

When running the top-level suite now, the only output I got was a lot of
dots, the time it took to run the suite and the number of OK tests run.

Have anyone considered a framework or interface for logging events and
information in the junit tests? I think it will be very difficult in the
future to analyse test failures only based on the text from an assertion
failure or exception. Especially when we start porting multhreaded
stress tests and other more complicated parts of the old suite.

It would also give a warm fussy feeling to be able to see that the tests
actually did something (in addition to all the dots written by the
TestRunner).

I've been used to using the java logging API (java.util.logging.*) for
similar needs, and think that would cover what is needed for this.

Other suggestions or views on this?

Vemund