db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [testing]-run a test in different mode leads to different result
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:42:50 GMT
Sean Qiu wrote:
> After running the suite of derbyall, i want to recur each single test
> from the derbyall_fail.txt
> But when i run it in different test mode, like
> spesifying the -Dframework=DerbynetClient, it will produce different
> results.
> It may fail in one mode while pass in another mode.
>
> So my question is how could i konw which mode is the request one?

It is a bit tricky to figure out in which frameworks a particular test will or
should run. There is a wiki page with some further details, please take a look:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TestingFrameworks

For example, if your derbyall_fail.txt contains something like

derbyall/derbylang/derbylang.fail:lang/triggerGeneral.sql

it means that the test was run as part of the derbylang suite.

The derbylang suite is only run in the Embedded framework by default.
We "know" this because

1) there is no derbylang.properties file in the functionTests/suites/ directory
specifying a "framework" property
2) the derbylang suite is not part of a larger (super)suite that is run in a
non-default framework (no <suite>.properties file includes derbylang in its list
of suites while it also includes a non-default framework setting)
3) the default test framework is the Embedded framework

Also, there is no "framework" property specified in the
tests/lang/triggerGeneral_*.properties files. Thus we may conclude that the test
is normally only run in the Embedded (default) framework.

The JUnit tests work a bit differently, though...

> Run this test in an embedded environment, it will pass:

[snip output from test command]

> Run this test in a server environment, it will fail:
> java -Dverbose=true -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
> lang/triggerGeneral.sql

[snip output from test command and diff]

> BTW, i sitll confuse with the diff result. Could anyone do me a favor?

I don't think this test is designed to run in client/server frameworks, which
probably is the reason why it fails.

--
John