db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Network server start up time - why 50+ seconds sometimes?
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:02:16 GMT

I'm running the JUnit test suite All using Junit test runners with
several tests that use the NetworkServerTestSetup to start and stop the
server. The server is started and stopped around five times. With a
timeout wait of 60 seconds for the server to start I see one or two
failures due to the server not starting in time. Looking more closely I
see that either the server starts in less than 200ms or that it takes
50+ seconds.

Any thoughts on why this binary mode, seems close to a possible 60
second system timeout mechanism. Is there some cleanup the network
server could be failing to do, or could an open client side connection
cause this?

Increasing the wait time to 180 seconds means no failures are seen, but
continue to see that once or twice the server takes 50-100 seconds to start.

Dan.
PS. This is on Windows.