db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [test]How to run derby on Harmony?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:24:56 GMT
Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all:
>      We are now self-hosting derby on Harmony. But we encountered a problem:
>      The vm we uses is a customized IBM J9 VM whose expected dehavior is
> the same as standard VM while it name is still "J9".
>      I have digged into the harness package and found that J9 VM is
> treated differently. But Harmony VM will thus fails since its command is
> still java, the options is the same as standard VM.
>     Although I have commented out all the thing I found about "J9", but
> it still fails with "0 passes 0 fails".
>     But another VM drlvm, with the same classlib as we have, can start
> to run.
>     So I think is there a version of test tools that do not tread "J9"
> differently thus we can use?:)
>     Thank you.

That's one of the aspects of the Derby test harness I dislike, the fact
that running on a new virtual machine is not obvious. The community is
moving (slowly) to JUnit so that running the tests becomes more obvious.

There are a number of JUnit test suites that should run standalone
today. See http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness.

E.g. try running the test

org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.Embedded

as a standard Junit test.

Dan.