db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [junit] Making progess faster towards a pure Junit world
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:29:29 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> I'd like to make progress faster towards a pure JUnit set of tests for
> Derby but I believe the fact we need to setup the tests and the JUnit
> utility classes to run under the harness slows down progress as well as
> adding complications. An example of how it slows down is that any change
> to a test or JUnit utility class requires that the contributor runs the
> tests multiple ways to ensure no regressions.
>
> Assuming we had a top-level JUnit suite that ran all the Junit tests
> successfully (with the same configuration coverage as they are run today
> in derbyall) then could we switch to a dual testing environment until
> all the tests were converted to JUnit? This would include removing all
> the JUnit tests from the old harness suite files.
>
> That is if one wanted to run all the tests one would have to run:
>
>   derbyall with the old harness
>   suites.All using JUnit test runners directly.
>
> Is this an issue for people?

Hi,

For me this is not an issue. I might even be able to run the two in
parallel by changing the port number for the JUnit run.

I'm happy to see that there is activity on converting tests to JUnit.
We still have a long way to go though, so keep up the good work!

(BTW: I have some problems with the security manager, and if people have
any ideas, I'd like to hear them;
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1001)

--
Kristian