db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Line end characters in the source distributions seem to be set to "DOS"
Date Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:36:45 GMT

Tim Dudgeon wrote:
> OK, building from source of the 1.2 branch and applying the patch as
> suggested seems to work fine.
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> The critical thing for me now is to ensure that databases created with
> this patched version can be upgraded when a new version of derby (e.g.
> 10.3) comes along.
>
> I tried opening a database created with this patched version of 10.2
> with a version built form trunk, and I get this error:
>
> Unsupported upgrade from '10.2' to '10.3 beta'.
>
> Is this a problems with the 10.2, or the 10.3 beta?
> If its with 10.2 how do I make sure the database files can be upgraded?
There is always a check to disallow upgrade to any beta release.  Having
said that there is always a risk running your own fork of any derby
release in production, as the production releases may not know to
support upgrade of whatever your fork may have done to the db.  The key
is determining if the changes in your fork affect any on disk
representation of the data.  And of course you always have the option
of fixing the upgrade in another for fork of future releases as it is
open source.

There are development flags to allow the upgrade to the beta, search
the derby development mail list or wiki.  I don't have the exact syntax.