db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: [jira] Resolved: (DERBY-1489) Provide ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN functionality
Date Sat, 07 Oct 2006 18:13:51 GMT
> I downloaded the sources, and tried to apply the path to those. 
> patch -p0 < drop_column_v8_restored_tests.diff

That seems like a reasonable technique. I tried a similar, but not identical,
experiment: I took my 10.2 svn sandbox, and I ran patch -p0 <drop_...diff
and it seemed to work fine, although I got a few "offset 10 lines" messages.

I just tried some experiments with the sources from the download zip site
and I think the problem may have to do with line-end characters.

Are you working on a Windows system or on a Unix system?

The files in the source release appear to have DOS line end characters and
that seems to confuse the patch program.

Here's three suggestions:
1) Pull a svn client of the 10.2 branch and apply the patches to that. I've
done it and I believe it works. Plus, that will make it easier for you to
manage the patch process down the road with subsequent releases of the 10.2 branch
2) If you're on a Unix system, try grabbing the sources and patching them
on a Windows system. The line end characters may not be a problem then.
3) Use a tool to convert the line end characters of the files needing to be
patched from DOS format to Unix format, then try applying the patch.

Meanwhile, I'll ask separately on the developer's list about line end characters
in the source distributions.



View raw message