db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sample announcement for 10.2.1.6
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:38:53 GMT
Army wrote:
[snip XML discussion]

> that's too confusing for people ("Wasn't there already an XML type in
> 10.1??"), we could perhaps add a short explanatory note, something like:
>
>   o New XML datatype and operators for storing and querying XML data.
>     (not officially supported in earlier releases).

I would steer clear of terms like "officially supported", I don't think
they really mean anything in an Apache open source project. All we
should do is state what is included. The JDBC 4 support, for example,
just says it is based upon a pfd/beta version of the spec/mustang. It's
up to users to determine how/if they should use it. So maybe the XML
line should be something like:

  - XML datatype and operators for storing and querying XML data based
upon SQL/XML standard (version info?). Changes have been made from the
10.1 XML features which were based upon a draft form of the SQL/XML
standard.

Dan.