db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sample announcement for 10.2.1.6
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:09:40 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hello derby-dev,
>
> I would like your feedback on the release announcement which I will post
> to various mailing lists.

Thanks for putting this together, Rick!  One minor comment:

>  o XPath/XQuery support has been improved.

Technically speaking, XPath/XQuery wasn't officially supported before 10.2.
There was code in Derby 10.1 but the operators were unofficial/"experimental"
because the SQL/XML spec that they are based on was still in flux at that time.
  That's why the operators and datatype were not documented before now.

With 10.2 we're making support for an XML datatype and corresponding operators
"official" by documenting it and claiming that, insofar as we know, the
operators are now in line with SQL/XML and are ready for production use.
Perhaps most importantly this means that future releases of Derby XML support
should now pay attention to backward-compatibility concerns so that any apps
that use XML with 10.2 will also work with XML in future releases.  (There was
no such guarantee with XML in 10.1).

All of that to say that maybe instead of "has been improved", we could write
something like:

   o New XML datatype and operators for storing and querying XML data.

If that's too confusing for people ("Wasn't there already an XML type in
10.1??"), we could perhaps add a short explanatory note, something like:

   o New XML datatype and operators for storing and querying XML data.
     (not officially supported in earlier releases).

Army