db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject sample announcement for 10.2.1.6
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:08:39 GMT
Hello derby-dev,

I would like your feedback on the release announcement which I will post
to various mailing lists. Step (21) of the release cookbook
(http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease) recommends:
"Every tech news blog remotely related to Java or databases will pick up
the announcement and post it verbatim, so it's a good idea to spell
check it, proofread it a couple of times, and/or get input from
derby-dev on its content." I plan to post to the following mailing
lists: derby-user, derby-dev, general@db.apache.org, and
should notify. Please also let me know how I can improve the following
draft message.

Thanks,
-Rick

----------------------------------

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce a new feature release
of Derby, 10.2.1.6.

Apache Derby is a subproject of the Apache DB project.
Derby is a pure Java relational database engine which conforms to the
ANSI SQL and JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers
and end-users to work with.

Derby 10.2.1.6 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

  http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Derby 10.2.1.6 introduces the following new featues:

* Tools
  o The ij sql interpreter now has command-line help
    and two new commands: show tables and describe.
  o The ij connect statement now works in the J2ME/CDC environment.
  o Tools can now be invoked without specifying a classpath
    just by typing java -jar derbyrun.jar toolName.

* Security
  o Databases can now be re-encrypted.
  o Secure connections can now be required.
  o Support has been added for DRDA userid/password substitution.
  o SQL Standard GRANT/REVOKE support has been added
    for authenticated users.

* Administration
  o New scripts have been added in the bin directory which
    follow Apache conventions.
  o System tables have been added for access to diagnostic information
    previously available only through non-standard VTIs.
  o Online backup is now available through new system procedures.
  o Various Net Servlet improvements have been made.
  o The network server now logs startup/shutdown messages to derby.log.

* JDBC
  o The network driver now supports statement timeouts.
  o Large object streaming has been improved in the network driver.
  o The FOR UPDATE clause is no longer required when declaring an
updatable ResultSet.
  o Scrollable, updatable, insensitive ResultSets are now supported.
  o Network client messages have been internationalized.
  o Source-only JDBC 4 drivers are included, based on a proposed final draft
    of JSR-221 and beta build 99 of Java SE 6.

* SQL
  o Expressions are now allowed in the GROUP BY clause.
  o Identity columns can be reset to start at a new value.
  o XPath/XQuery support has been improved.
  o New builtin math functions have been added and wired-in as
    JDBC escape functions.
  o Unary +/- are now allowed for ? parameters.
  o Optimizer overrides have been added.
  o Triggers can now call Java procedures.
  o The nullability of a column can be changed now.