db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject [junit] Making progess faster towards a pure Junit world
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:50:16 GMT
I'd like to make progress faster towards a pure JUnit set of tests for
Derby but I believe the fact we need to setup the tests and the JUnit
utility classes to run under the harness slows down progress as well as
adding complications. An example of how it slows down is that any change
to a test or JUnit utility class requires that the contributor runs the
tests multiple ways to ensure no regressions.

Assuming we had a top-level JUnit suite that ran all the Junit tests
successfully (with the same configuration coverage as they are run today
in derbyall) then could we switch to a dual testing environment until
all the tests were converted to JUnit? This would include removing all
the JUnit tests from the old harness suite files.

That is if one wanted to run all the tests one would have to run:

   derbyall with the old harness
   suites.All using JUnit test runners directly.

Is this an issue for people?

What about the folks that do nightly testing? Has any JUnit related work
been done on the scripts used to report nightly tests. Are those scripts
going to be added to Derby's svn so that others can help make progress
on this issue?

Thanks,
Dan.