db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject 10.2.1.6 Large Data Volume OOME PermGen space issue
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:01:16 GMT
Ole Solberg wrote:

[SNIP]

> *Saw 21 cases of "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" during the
> ATCJ2 run.* First instance ~when backup starts. Appears to have the same
> "signature" as DERBY-210.

I tried running the standalone repro I attached to DERBY-210,
StatementStress.java, against 10.2.1.6, and was *not* able to provoke an
OutOfMemoryError (using up to 80k iterations) with default heap space
and JVM 1.5.0_07.

I also modified StatementStress.java so that it creates and executes
regular Statements instead of PreparedStatements (still without closing
the statements explicitly), but it made no difference. Generated classes
were unloaded from the PermGen space during the test run, as they should be.

So, the very issue I was seeing wrt. DERBY-210 seems to have been fixed
in 10.1.3.1 and 10.2.x.

> I saw no such errors when running 10.2.1.5, but then I did NOT do backup
> with concurrent load.

I doubt something has changed in the implementation between 10.2.1.5 and
10.2.1.6 to cause such a memory problem, so that may very well have
something to do with it.

--
John