db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Solberg <Ole.Solb...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.2.1.6 release
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:10:13 GMT
Vote: +1,  even though 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space'
occurred several times during the Large Data Volume DOTS/ATCJ2 test.
My simple consistency checks did not reveal any problems.

Large Data Volume tests on 10.2.1.6:

-----------------
OS:  Solaris 10 1/06 s10x_u1wos_19a X86 64bits
JVM: Sun 1.5.0 ( 1.5.0_07-b03)

We have used the DOTS* ATCJ2(auction simulation) schema and a database
filled to ~178Gb raw disk space.
The three ATCJ2 tables contain  ~232 million, ~290 million and ~1.2
million tuples.
Tests on this volume includes
  - backup/recovery tests:
    - SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE_AND_ENABLE_LOG_ARCHIVE_MODE()
      backup on this volume, with concurrent load(ATCJ2)
      on the database.
    - "rollForwardRecovery" of the database after
      having run the DOTS ATCJ2 for 14 hrs after backup.
  - table consistency check(SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECK_TABLE()).
      (NB. partly run, not completed when sending this!)
  - simple aggregate queries on these tables.

*Saw 21 cases of "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" during the
ATCJ2 run.* First instance ~when backup starts. Appears to have the same
"signature" as DERBY-210.

I saw no such errors when running 10.2.1.5, but then I did NOT do backup
with concurrent load.

The database used here is soft upgraded from 10.1.

http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/10.2.1.6_RC/AdditionalTests.html

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway