db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: release endgame
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:59:10 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> It looks like we're going to approve a 10.2 release soon. I have a
> couple questions about the release endgame which follows a positive vote:
> 1) Do I need the PMC's approval before posting the release to the Apache
> mirrors?

The vote needs at least 3 +1 votes from somebody who is on the DB PMC.
>From a quick scan so far, it looks like there are 6 votes cast by DB PMC
members.  When you tally and post the results to derby-dev, identify who
is on the DB PMC -- Andrew's results post is a good example
[1]. Then forward that results post to private@db.apache.org.

Somebody who has done a release needs to respond to the questions about
symbolic links (#2 and #3).

> 2) Step (9) at http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html warns
> against using symbolic links in mirrored directories. But step (17) at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease seems to indicate
> that we do use symbolic links on our mirrored directory. Furthermore,
> symbolic links are required by the instructions at
> http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/mirror.html. I'm confused.
> 3) More about symbolic links. The instructions make a distinction
> between the distribution zips and their signatures. I'm told to link the
> zips but not the signatures (see
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages.html). However, step
> (17) at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease shows us
> creating symbolic links for both the zips and the signatures. Again, I'm
> confused.
> Would appreciate your advice here.
> Thanks,
> -Rick